April 27, 2008

GO GREEN WITH VINTAGE

In honor of Earth day, which has long gone and passed (this is how behind I am on my life!) I thought I would write a little blurb about yet another way to GO GREEN! Don't worry, I'm not going to suggest that you turn off your shower water while you're shampooing your lovely locks to save the planet. (Although, if you really are dedicated to doing your part and you don't mind freezing your buns off, that's not a bad idea!) Here's a really painless and rather fun way to go green -- next time you need to buy an important woman in your life a gift, get them vintage jewelry! Not only will that gal be ever so grateful to you for your impeccable taste and creativity, but you'll also be supporting the use of incredible vintage jewelry components. How is that going green you ask? Well, you would be promoting the usage of beads and components that have already used energy in their creation and would otherwise be sadly sitting in a box rotting away in some huge warehouse somewhere. Yes, that's right, so many lovely vintage beads are sitting in storages unused, unloved, and waiting to be discovered by vintage addicts such as myself! Every time I incorporate a vintage component into a jewelry piece, I feel that's one less new jewelry component that I would have otherwise used instead. The more vintage components I use, the less new components I purchase, the less new energy required to create more components!



I'm especially in love with 1950's vintage glass jewels and 1960's vintage Lucite, two very different styles of vintage, but both so uniquely wonderful in their own way. Vintage glass jewels have incredibly vibrant, rich colors and an intense sparkle that is just unmatched with newer imitations. I absolutely love creating with those rare beauties! Vintage Lucite is chunky, bold, and funky -- perfect for daring individuals who love turning heads! Check out both styles of vintage at my shop Apartment49, and promote the usage of vintage components! And then you can give yourself a pat on the back for doing your part without freezing your buns off!

No comments: